guix-devel

Re: emacs-guix (upstream) needs more love: a survey of repositories, hom

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: emacs-guix (upstream) needs more love: a survey of repositories, homepage and issues
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:12:43 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 at 10:08, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> I’m not sure what “personal” means in this case.

Quoting [1]:

        From: Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com>
        To: John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu>
        Cc: Guix-Devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
        Subject: Re: New emacs-guix location
        Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 13:20:59 +0300

        John Soo (2020-11-24 11:23 -0800) wrote:

        > Hello Alex and Guix,
        > Hope you are well.

        Hello, I am fine, thanks!

        > I volunteered to maintain some version of
        > emacs-guix recently. How do you feel about a fork moving to Savannah?

        You (and all the Guix people) are free to do whatever you think is
        appropriate.  Emacs-Guix is a free software after all.

        So if you will maintain the "official" (used by Guix) version of
        Emacs-Guix at Savannah, I will only be happy that I don't have this
        burden anymore.

        As for me, I will continue to use my version of Emacs-Guix and to adjust
        it for my needs.

        And thank you for your latest commits that fixed Emacs-Guix for the
        current versions of Guix and Geiser!

        1: <https://yhetil.org/guix/87v9cum99w.fsf@gmail.com>

> Anyway, the situation is confusing; there’s no point in having two
> slightly different variants.  I suggest we check with Alex off-list to
> get a better understanding of what they want.  Worst case, we can
> cherry-pick commits from Alex’s copy if Alex doesn’t want to be involved
> in discussions around Emacs-Guix or Guix development.

To add to the confusion, note that this Gitlab repo [2] also contains
some issues.  But both Gitlab and Github repos are sync by Alex, I
guess.

BTW, note this message [3] by Alex on April 2020:

        I am very sorry but I rarely use Guix and Emacs-Guix these days and I
        don't have any wish to maintain it. I mean, if it is some small
        easy-to-fix problem or a proposed patch, then I will look at it, but
        investigating a problem like this is too much for me currently. Sorry
:-(

        Hopefully, someone else who has this problem will look at it.

        3: <https://github.com/alezost/guix.el/issues/38#issuecomment-617718043>

and I sent them an email off-list asking them the status on 29 May 2020,
15:33.  And I am not able to find an answer back.

Cheers,
simon

2: <https://gitlab.com/emacs-guix/emacs-guix>