guix-devel

Re: Hardened toolchain

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Hardened toolchain
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:31:28 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 at 12:15, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Stack smashing protection (SSP) may incur measurable run-time overhead
> though so enabling that one by default may be less consensual.

That’s true and it could be an issue for HPC practitioners.  However,
quoting Wikipedia [1], for what it is worth:

All Fedora packages are compiled with -fstack-protector since Fedora
Core 5, and -fstack-protector-strong since Fedora 20.[19][20] Most
packages in Ubuntu are compiled with -fstack-protector since 6.10.[21]
Every Arch Linux package is compiled with -fstack-protector since
2011.[22] All Arch Linux packages built since 4 May 2014 use
-fstack-protector-strong.[23] Stack protection is only used for some
packages in Debian,[24] and only for the FreeBSD base system since
8.0.[25] Stack protection is standard in certain operating systems,
including OpenBSD,[26] Hardened Gentoo[27] and DragonFly BSD.

Well, I miss if Guix is built using this ’-fstack-protector’ flag; or
whether it is included by default.

Cheers,
simon

1: