guix-devel

Re: Hardened toolchain

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Hardened toolchain
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 06:07:10 -0500

raingloom <raingloom@riseup.net> writes:

> People shouldn't have to take extra steps and burn extra CPU cycles
> for security.

To be clear, I don't have a strong opinion on this, but I wanted to give an
alternative viewpoint: people shouldn't have to take extra steps and burn extra
CPU cycles for performance.

Everyone has different threat models and needs. A lot of computers have CPU
speculative execution attack mitigation disabled because those types of attacks
will never affect those computers, and it reduces the performance of the CPU a
lot.

I suggest we pick our default with care, and if possible with data about what
most users would like.

--
Katherine