guix-devel

Re: emacs-guix (upstream) needs more love: a survey of repositories, hom

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: emacs-guix (upstream) needs more love: a survey of repositories, homepage and issues
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:27:28 +0200

Hi Ludovic:

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Giovanni,
>
> Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> skribis:
>
>> AFAIU since 2021-01-11 [1] the new official home of emacs-guix is on
>> Savannah as a Guix sub-project [2]; Alex Kost agreed [3] and told us
>> that:
>>

>>  As for me, I will continue to use my version of Emacs-Guix and to adjust
>>  it for my needs.
>>

>> and that's what he is doing (see below), so now "officially" we have
>> /two/ packages named emacs-guix: the official one at Savannah and the
>> "personal" one maintained by Alex.
>
> I’m not sure what “personal” means in this case.

Just my personal interpretation of the words "my version" and "for my
needs" from Alex :-D... after all Alex's version is now the Guix
"official" one (the one we are packaging)

> Anyway, the situation is confusing; there’s no point in having two
> slightly different variants.  I suggest we check with Alex off-list to
> get a better understanding of what they want.

I agree, thank you for your off-list message, let's wait Alex reply.

> Worst case, we can cherry-pick commits from Alex’s copy if Alex
> doesn’t want to be involved in discussions around Emacs-Guix or Guix
> development.

In this worst case, we'll have two different emacs-guix packages,
documentation, issue tracking: the situation will continue to be
confusing, one of the two emacs-guix "ecosystems" (repo, web page, issue
tracking) should be discontinued (or renamed?), IMHO, hopefully with
both Alex and John as co-maintainers in one emacs-guix.

> Thanks for the heads-up!

Thank you all for your work!

Gio'

--