guix-devel

Re: SSH service for Guix Home

From: Xinglu Chen
Subject: Re: SSH service for Guix Home
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:21:36 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 15 2021, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> One service I miss for Guix Home is ‘home-ssh-service-type’, which is in
> the “original” Guix Home.
>
> Could you contribute a patch adding it?  (I could do it on your behalf,
> but it sounds more logical to let you handle it.)

Being the original author, I will hopefully try to work on it soon.  :-)

> Also, could you (or Xinglu, or Oleg) write a blog post for
> guix.gnu.org, targeting an audience who’s not familiar with this kind
> of tool, making it clear what the rationale is and what it can bring
> to “normal users”?  It would be really helpful to have that published
> within a couple of weeks or so, before the next release.

That sounds like a good idea, I would be happy to help!

> Last, it’d be great to see the three of you (and more people!) back in
> action regarding Guix Home.  I understand that life sometimes gets in
> the way, but it seems that there’s been some confusion as to how to go
> forward—e.g., <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/51359#2>—which may partly
> explain why things stalled.  If there are patches waiting for review,
> also don’t hesitate to ping!

Yeah, apologies for not being very active in the last few months.

I think one of the problems is that there is not really any style guide
for now to write services (I do have a WIP patch in my local tree that
will document most of (gnu services configuration) though :-)).  We also
lack a way to properly test home services; we would need something
similar to what Nix Home-manager has[1][2].

[1]: Nix code for configuring a program
<https://github.com/nix-community/home-manager/blob/master/tests/modules/programs/git/git.nix>
[2]: Expected content of the serialized configuration
<https://github.com/nix-community/home-manager/blob/master/tests/modules/programs/git/git-expected.conf>