guix-devel

Re: SSH service for Guix Home

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: SSH service for Guix Home
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 23:31:10 +0100

Hi!

Xinglu Chen <public@yoctocell.xyz> skribis:

> On Wed, Dec 15 2021, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> One service I miss for Guix Home is ‘home-ssh-service-type’, which is in
>> the “original” Guix Home.
>>
>> Could you contribute a patch adding it?  (I could do it on your behalf,
>> but it sounds more logical to let you handle it.)
>
> Being the original author, I will hopefully try to work on it soon.  :-)

Neat.  :-)

[...]

>> Last, it’d be great to see the three of you (and more people!) back in
>> action regarding Guix Home.  I understand that life sometimes gets in
>> the way, but it seems that there’s been some confusion as to how to go
>> forward—e.g., <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/51359#2>—which may partly
>> explain why things stalled.  If there are patches waiting for review,
>> also don’t hesitate to ping!
>
> Yeah, apologies for not being very active in the last few months.

No, no need to apologize.

I think we need to come to a shared understanding of what the next steps
are.  Once we have that, we can clarify the current status in the manual
and release announcement, and open issues so that anyone who’d like to
contribute knows where to look at.

> I think one of the problems is that there is not really any style guide
> for now to write services (I do have a WIP patch in my local tree that
> will document most of (gnu services configuration) though :-)).

I see you’ve sent it in the meantime, neat!

> We also lack a way to properly test home services; we would need
> something similar to what Nix Home-manager has[1][2].
>
> [1]: Nix code for configuring a program
> <https://github.com/nix-community/home-manager/blob/master/tests/modules/programs/git/git.nix>
> [2]: Expected content of the serialized configuration
> <https://github.com/nix-community/home-manager/blob/master/tests/modules/programs/git/git-expected.conf>

OK.  Given that ‘define-configuration’ works at a “meta” level, I wonder
if we could have tests that are less boring than this.

Thanks,
Ludo’.