guix-devel

Re: GNU Guix 1.3.0rc1 available for testing!

From: Tissevert
Subject: Re: GNU Guix 1.3.0rc1 available for testing!
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 10:16:39 +0200

Hi !!

On Mon, 3 May 2021 20:34:54 -0400
Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
> I think that a big part of why we offer the SysV-init "/etc/init.d"
> service management script is to serve Devuan — there are not many
> distros using that style of service management anymore. If `daemonize`
> is not available by default on Devuan, I wonder if there is some other
> way we should be writing the script.
>
> Can you check some "Devuan provided" scripts in '/etc/init.d' and see
> if they use a different method of daemonizing things?

Oh really ? I didn't think devuan was well-known enough for it to have an
impact on a design choice like this. Well no other of the 69 scripts I have in
/etc/init.d use daemonize. Most of them use /sbin/start-stop-daemon, although
the point of running Devuan was to have runit, but it's so well hidden you
wouldn't know it's PID 1 here… which is the main reason why I'm giving up on
Devuan, I came for my favourite, easy to use, init system, not for some
compat-bloat over it that end up hiding the best feature. So if this script is
only for Devuan, I think a proper runit daemon may be better.

Regards,

Tissevert