guix-devel

Re: GNU Guix 1.3.0rc1 available for testing!

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: GNU Guix 1.3.0rc1 available for testing!
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 14:45:18 -0400

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Sat, May 01, 2021 at 05:25:45PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
>> Maybe we should update the manual to mention "1.3.0rc1" and the correct
>> key.
>
> I've attached a patch.
>
>> >   1. Testing the binary tarball on the distro of your choice.  You can
>> >      download <https://guix.gnu.org/install.sh>.  Uncomment the
>> >      ‘GNU_URL’ variable assignment that refers to alpha.gnu.org and it
>> >      should pick up 1.3.0rc1 automatically.
>>
>> The install.sh script also recommends installing Ludo's key, but of
>> course fails to verify the signature with it. After installing Ludo's
>> key, the installer does suggest the correct key — Maxim's.
>
> I looked at 'guix-install.sh' and see that it recommends both Ludo's and
> Maxim's keys. It's not great that it fails, recommends users to download
> Ludo's key, and then fails again.

It should fail only once (as it currently would if Ludo's key was
missing), and display two messages/two commands instead of one to get
the missing keys.  This is because we exit after the loop, based on the
exit_flag variable value we set in the loop.  Did it not behave that way
for you?

> I tried re-sorting the array so that Maxim's key is first but, no matter
> what, it still requires every key in the GPG_SIGNING_KEY array, and the
> user will have to try the script three times before it can succeed. If
> the next release is signed by someone besides Ludo or Maxim, then the
> script will require four runs, etc.

Could you help me understand what is failing?  I tested with no keys, or
with just Ludovic's key, and it was working as intended when attempting
to install the 1.3.0rc1 release (e.g., aborting + printing all the keys
missing with the accompanying suggested commands to resolve the issue,
and proceed with the installation normally thereafter)

Thank you!

Maxim