guix-devel

Re: GNU Guix 1.3.0rc1 available for testing!

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: GNU Guix 1.3.0rc1 available for testing!
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 20:34:54 -0400

On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 09:38:56PM +0200, Tissevert wrote:
> I've just given the binary tarball a spin on Devuan. Worked almost flawlessly
> (daemonize wasn't installed and I missed the part when it was mentioned
> because
> I was a bit in a hurry but apart from that the overall experience was great —
> the guix text art was surprising in a good kind of way).

I think that a big part of why we offer the SysV-init "/etc/init.d"
service management script is to serve Devuan — there are not many
distros using that style of service management anymore. If `daemonize`
is not available by default on Devuan, I wonder if there is some other
way we should be writing the script.

Can you check some "Devuan provided" scripts in '/etc/init.d' and see if
they use a different method of daemonizing things?

> I got the warning about the GPG keys, and I confirm I got a single warning for
> both keys at once with a very simple click'n'paste command to import the keys
> and fix the problem.

Great!

> Once installed and the daemon started manually, it looks like it works (at
> least the simple things I use do). To answer Leo's question if I understand it
> correctly, I can guarantee you that absolutely no guix-related user or group
> existed before I ran the script, and they have been successfully created (10
> guix builder users named `printf "guixbuilder%02d" <$> [1..10]` and 1 group
> named
> guixbuild).

Awesome, thanks for checking! That sounds exactly right.