guix-devel

Re: Release on April 18th?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Release on April 18th?
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2021 14:07:28 -0500

On Thu, Mar 04, 2021 at 10:41:34AM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 at 13:51, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
> > * Update tzdata
>
> “guix refresh tzdata -l” provides couple of dependants.  Is it
> reasonable to update it for the next release?

For me, I see 1765 dependents (a "couple" is 2). We have the capacity to
rebuild them in this timeframe.

> > * Ungraft
>
> I am not following closely, sorry if I miss something.  The ’ungrafting’
> branch had been merged to ’staging’ right?  And what is the state of
> ’staging’?

The staging branch has been completed, along with the previous
ungrafting. But now there are new grafts and, in my opinion, we don't
have time to do another staging round before April 18.

I think it's important to release without any grafts because they do not
always work as expected. For example:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-01/msg00292.html

> From my point of view, the whole “ungrafting” process is unclear on two
> sides: 1. how to effectively ungraft a package?  i.e., what are the
> typical steps? and 2. what is the list of packages to ungraft?

1) Move the changes of the replacement packages into the packages that
were being replaced. For example, we should move the patch
'python-2.7-CVE-2021-3177.patch' from the origin of python-2.7/fixed to
the origin of python-2.7.

2) Grep on the master branch in gnu/packages for '(replacement'. That
will show you every graft.

Does that make sense?