guix-devel

Re: Release on April 18th?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Release on April 18th?
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2021 15:31:22 +0100

Hello,

Am Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 03:03:50PM -0500 schrieb Leo Famulari:
> I think that timeline is too short for core-updates, although it depends
> on how many people choose to monitor the building and fix problems.
> Regarding the bug tracker, I don't think we've begun identifying
> core-updates bugs yet.

it would be nice if core-updates could be part of the release. I have
been waiting for gmp, mpfr and mpc to appear in master. In particular
mpfr-4.1.0 has been released in July 2020, and I have updated it in
core-updates in the same month. Even with a release in April, that makes
9 months! Otherwise, we would end very far off the 6 months suggested in
doc/contributing.texi.

If I read the git history correctly, we have merged core-updates for the
last time in May 2020. Shocking numbers. Hopefully the recent progress
in continuous integration will help us reach our goal of more frequent
merging again.

Andreas