guix-devel

Re: New “ungrafting” branch

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: New “ungrafting” branch
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 11:32:05 +0100

Hi Leo,

On Tue, 08 Dec 2020 at 13:20, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 03:13:40PM +0100, zimoun wrote:
>> I have missed the discussion on IRC and I do not understand the
>> rationale.  What's the point of "ungrafting"?
>
> Grafts cause profile operations like `guix install` and `guix
> environment` to be slower than without grafts.

Yes, for sure.  The manual is bit lying. :-)

                           The cost of grafting is typically very low, and
    order of magnitudes lower than a full rebuild of the dependency chain.

But if grafts is here, it is because of something.  Therefore, I do not
understand what it does mean “ungraft”.  Avoid the grafting mechanism
when it is possible?

All the best,
simon