guix-devel

Re: New “ungrafting” branch

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: New “ungrafting” branch
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 18:13:29 -0500

Hello Ludo,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Guix!
>
> Following discussions on IRC, I’ve created a new ‘ungrafting’ branch
> that does nothing but ungraft things.
>
> The rationale is that grafts incur additional overhead when installing
> things (the time to create those grafts), so it’s good to clean them up
> once in a while.  Ungrafting in a dedicated branch means we know the
> branch is “safe”, unlike more exploratory branches like ‘staging’ and
> ‘core-updates’.
>
> The plan is to start building it later today, and to hopefully be done
> in a week or so.
>
> Thoughts?

To me, staging is not enough exploratory the point to warrant an
additional ungrafting branch (my preference would be to rather see
staging merged sooner), but then I haven't kept a close look of what's
gone to it recently.

Having more branches also translates to more load on the CI, unless I'm
missing something.

Thank you for the initiative,

Maxim