guix-devel

Re: New “ungrafting” branch

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: New “ungrafting” branch
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 19:02:47 +0000

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Following discussions on IRC, I’ve created a new ‘ungrafting’ branch
> that does nothing but ungraft things.
>
> The rationale is that grafts incur additional overhead when installing
> things (the time to create those grafts), so it’s good to clean them up
> once in a while.  Ungrafting in a dedicated branch means we know the
> branch is “safe”, unlike more exploratory branches like ‘staging’ and
> ‘core-updates’.
>
> The plan is to start building it later today, and to hopefully be done
> in a week or so.
>
> Thoughts?

Sounds good. I'm not quite sure what you mean by safe though, it's
definitely likely that things will behave the same, but it's not
certain. Additionally, I guess there will be cases were things fail to
build when the replacement is used in the build process.

I thought the process used to be to push the update to
staging/core-updates when the replacement was introduced to master?