guix-devel

Re: Reviving Emacs-Guix

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Reviving Emacs-Guix
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 13:01:58 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 at 10:18, Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:
> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> It was a conscious design choice to have tight integration via the
>> Scheme APIs rather than by wrapping the command-line interface, and I
>> think it’s worked well.
>>
>> The development features (info "(emacs-guix) Development") also
>> obviously benefit from that.
>
> Sadly it's the part that exposes one of the most obvious issues:
> guix-devel-build-package-definition ("C-c . b") chokes Geiser and hangs
> Emacs.

First, please Pierre, could you stop to refer to
`guix-devel-build-package-definition' when the correct one is
`guix-build-package'; which needs some updates, I agree.  Patch should
come…

Second, the issues with building packages using Emacs-Guix are about
implementation details i.e., fix the use of the API.  I am still missing
why Geiser chokes when “guix repl” in ’M-x shell’ do not since they are
both inherited from `comint-mode'.  It definitively looks like a misuse
of the Guix’s API.  IMHO.

Last, I agree that the general design should use the Scheme’s API rather
than wrapping the command-line interface.  However, worse is better and
maybe it could do the trick for some very specific case (build for
instance).

All the best,
simon