guix-devel

Re: Reviving Emacs-Guix

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Reviving Emacs-Guix
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 20:49:48 +0100

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> I'd like insist: in the current state of Geiser, we cannot leverage it
> reliably in Emacs-Guix.  We need to talk to Guix directly, e.g. with
> `guix repl` like I've done in Nyxt.

I don’t know.  Geiser is pretty neat.  I like that I can send anything
from a Guix source buffer to the REPL and invoke Guix commands on them.
This close interaction between the evaluated source and Guix actions
blurs the line between what is flexible code and what is the cold and
clunky shell environment.  Using Geiser is a feature.

Invoking mere shell snippets isn’t quite as interesting.

--
Ricardo