guix-devel

Re: Etymology of derivation

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Etymology of derivation
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2020 11:17:36 +0100

Hi Arun,

On Mon, 02 Nov 2020 at 00:57, Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> wrote:

> I am translating Guix to the Tamil language. Tamil doesn't yet have a
> very standardized technical vocabulary, and I mostly coin terms on my
> own. Most often, I construct calques of existing English words, and it
> sounds alright. But, I'm having trouble with the word "derivation" (as
> in Guix's low-level build actions). I haven't seen the word "derivation"
> used anywhere outside of Guix. Why is a "low-level build action" called
> a "derivation"? If someone could clarify the etymology, it might really
> help with good translation.

Maybe the best is to directly ask on Nix channels from where comes from
“derivation”.  Maybe the original author would answer. :-)

BTW, as Vagrant and Timothy pointed, « derivation » means, from the
Collins dictionary:

UK
1. the act of deriving or state of being derived
2. the source, origin, or descent of something, such as a word
3. something derived; a derivative
4.
  a. the process of deducing a mathematical theorem, formula, etc, as a
  necessary consequence of a set of accepted statements
  b. this sequence of statements
  c. the operation of finding a derivative

US
1.  a deriving or being derived
2.  descent or origination
3.  something derived; a derivative
4.  the source or origin of something
5.  the origin and development of a word; etymology
6.
  a. Grammar
    the process of forming words from bases by the addition of affixes
    other than inflectional morphemes, or by internal phonetic change
    the derivation of “warmth” from “warm”
  b. Linguistics
    in generative grammar, the process of forming sentences

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/derivation

Therefore, to me, the word derivation makes sense for the Guix
« derivation ».

All the best,
simon