guix-devel

Re: Etymology of derivation

From: Aniket Patil
Subject: Re: Etymology of derivation
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 13:18:43 +0530

Hi Arun,
I have been student of Sanskrit, but I am not master of Sanskrit. I would like to say that we can derive words in Indian languages easily. If we don’t have such words then Indian languages have something called dhatu (root). व्युत्पन्न “Vyutpanna” is a marathi word for derivation. Try to find similar or make on your own. I don’t have familiarity with Tamil but I would suggest you to do so.

Regards,
Aniket

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 10:38 AM, Taylan Kammer <taylan.kammer@gmail.com> wrote:
On 01.11.2020 20:27, Arun Isaac wrote:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I am translating Guix to the Tamil language. Tamil doesn't yet have a
> very standardized technical vocabulary, and I mostly coin terms on my
> own. Most often, I construct calques of existing English words, and it
> sounds alright. But, I'm having trouble with the word "derivation" (as
> in Guix's low-level build actions). I haven't seen the word "derivation"
> used anywhere outside of Guix. Why is a "low-level build action" called
> a "derivation"? If someone could clarify the etymology, it might really
> help with good translation.
>
> Thanks!

In Turkish, taking the easy way, we sometimes just bastardize an English
word, for example in this case we might say "derivasyon."  (Other such
examples: "depresyon" for depression, "enflasyon" for inflation, etc.)
Can such a thing be done in Tamil?

Alternatively, it might be useful to check what terminology is used in
Tamil for mathematical derivation / derivatives, as in calculus.

By the way, using Google Translate on various English, German and
Turkish words which all stand for "derivation" (namely "derivation",
"derivative", "Ableitung", "türev" and "türetme") have all resulted in:

வழித்தோன்றல்

Although translating it back leads to words like "descendants" and
"grandchildren."

- Taylan