guix-devel

Re: Etymology of derivation

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: Etymology of derivation
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 00:49:08 +0530

>> Actually I don't understand what "message" would mean in "build-message".
>> I'm more confused than with "derivation" :p
>
> It is the minimal build information that the build-daemon requires. A
> message to the build daemon in a way.

Perhaps "build request" is a slightly better term. Just as HTTP requests
are to a HTTP daemon, build requests are to the Guix build
daemon.

Besides, I wouldn't translate "build message/request" literally to
Tamil. I might have to very subtly alter the meaning so that it sits
well with common comprehension of the language. There is some degree of
choice in the translation.

Cheers!