guix-devel

Re: how to "guix pack" a profile?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: how to "guix pack" a profile?
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 22:40:42 +0200

Hi,

elaexuotee@wilsonb.com skribis:

> What Pierre (and others?) initially proposed---what I am re-proposing---is
> that
> we put a blob of Guile into the profiles that is capable of uniquely and
> completely generating the profile where it resides.

What you propose is what ‘guix system reconfigure’ does: it produces
/run/current-system/{channels,configuration}.scm and you can reuse them
right away.

The different with ‘guix package’ is that ‘guix system’ supports nothing
but a declarative mode, so it’s easy to do the above.

Conversely, profiles can be managed “imperatively”.  Thus, in the
general case, it’s not possible to write a ‘manifest.scm’ file
corresponding to a profile.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Ludo’.