guix-devel

Re: Using --manfistest with <profile>/manifest files

From: George Clemmer
Subject: Re: Using --manfistest with <profile>/manifest files
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 15:09:51 -0400

Hello!

elaexuotee@wilsonb.com writes:

> FWIW, I never expected `<profile>/manifest' to encode "this is what the user
> ordered," so much as "this is the recipe for (deterministically) reproducing
> this exact profile." For the former we have `packages->manifest',
> `specifications->manifest' etc. The latter is what I understand this
> discussion
> to be about.

I am sorry if it sounded like I was criticizing your level of guix
knowledge. Not my intent. You knowledge seems very high to me ;-)

I do admit to taking advantage of your public suffering in this guix
"trap" ...

>     $ guix environment -m ~/.guix-profile/manifest
>     (manifest ...): Wrong number of arguments

... and Ludo's acknowledgment of the "source of confusion that these
‘manifest’ files are not like the ‘manifest.scm’ files" that landed you
there to recycle a fix I proposed earlier:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-10/msg00011.html

Motivation: I see others fall into this trap periodically. When they
report their difficulty they get this "~/.guix-profile/manifest is not a
manifest" lecture.  This is a waste of time for all. It must be truly
annoying for someone in the trap to hear. And of course I fell into the
trap circa 2017 ;-)

FWIW, I support your request. In fact, I acctually suggest something
similar in the post referenced above.

HTH - George