guix-devel

Re: how to "guix pack" a profile?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: how to "guix pack" a profile?
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 12:00:17 +0200

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 at 11:52, elaexuotee@wilsonb.com wrote:

> You emphasize that declarative package management with "manifest.scm" is the
> way to go. I agree but wanted to point out that
>
>     $ guix package -m manifest.scm
>
> produces a different /gnu/store/<hash>-profile, depending on when it's run (or
> more precisely, depending on which channel commits guix resolves for the
> invocation).

Yes, but AFAIU the correct is:

  guix describe -f channels > channel.scm
  guix package -m manifest.scm

then later or elsewhere, reproduce with:

  guix time-machine -C channel.scm -- package -m manifest.scm

> You know that, of course, but the point I try to make is that "manifest.scm"
> and "channels.scm" are *not enough* to uniquely determine a specific
> /gnu/store/<hash>-profile. We need to separate out the concepts of
> "declarative
> profile management" and "deterministic profile regeneration."

Do you have examples?

I am not sure we are talking about the same channels.scm file.  I guess,
you have in mind ~/.config/guix/channels.scm but it is not the one of
interest for reproducing.  You need the real one, i.e., "guix describe
-f channels".

AFAIU, manifest.scm+$(guix describe -f channel) is enough to have
"deterministic profile (re)generation".  If not, it means there is a
"bug" in Inferiors or I miss something.

All the best,
simon