guix-devel

Re: Using --manfistest with <profile>/manifest files

From: George Clemmer
Subject: Re: Using --manfistest with <profile>/manifest files
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 10:03:09 -0400

Hi zimoun,

> In contradiction with what I wrote above, I agree. :-)
>
> <profile>/manifest should be renamed <profile>/specifications or
> something like that.
>
> And a comment could be inserted in this file saying: internal usage, do
> not modify, etc..
>
> WDYT?

Sure, that would work. But, on further thought, I would like to amend my
suggestion -- to change which ever is easier. I say that because ...

"manifest" occurs ~600 times in the ./guix directory. I am guessing its
use is deeply embedded with developers. If so, renaming it internally
seems like a bad idea. And if we write our internal manifest into the
profile and call it "specifications" it will only add the confusion.

OTOH, "manifest" occurs only ~50 times in guix.info and the "user API"
seems limited to the --manifest option and the functions:
specifications->manifest and packages->manifest. Furthermore it is a new
concept for new users. So I don't think users care what we call it.

Bottom line: change whichever is more convenient for developers.

HTH - George