guix-devel

Re: Manual consistency

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Manual consistency
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 15:08:52 +0200

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> Le 9 juin 2020 13:13:31 GMT-04:00, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> a
> écrit :
>>
>>Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

>>could

>>line
>>>
>>> What about adding some more post-processing in doc/build.scm?  :-)
>>
>>If we’re okay with wrapping individual lines in @code{…} that won’t be
>>necessary.  Having each logical line of code within @code results in
>>
>>  <pre class="example">
>>    <code>this line</code>
>>    <code>that line</code>
>>  </pre>
>>
>>and that’s something we *can* style with CSS.
>
> But we can't differentiate root commands and user commands that way.

… if that’s *really* necessary we can post-process in doc/build.scm, but
I think there’s little value in showing a different prompt.  While I
have seen it elsewhere, it’s not a universal convention to use “#” as a
root prompt and “$” for an unprivileged prompt.

If we want to clearly indicate that this is done by the root user I
suggest including “su -” at the top of the listing.

--
Ricardo