guix-devel

Re: Manual consistency

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Manual consistency
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 22:16:46 +0200

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> If there is a way to mark a sentence to wrap it into a class, we could
> also do some CSS magic with :before. That will allow us to show the
> prompt while making it non-selectable I think, which is nice visually
> and for copy-pasting. I'm not a texinfo guru though, so I don't know
> if it is feasible.

We can wrap each line in an @example with @code and then style each of
these lines.

So we would do something like this:

@example
@code{cd /tmp}
@code{tar --warning=no-timestamp -xf \
  /path/to/guix-binary-@value{VERSION}.x86_64-linux.tar.xz}
@code{mv var/guix /var/ && mv gnu /}
@end example

and then add this CSS rule:

div.example pre.example code::before {
  content: "$ ";
}

In the manual sometimes the prompt is # (for root) and sometimes it is $
(when it’s any other user).  We cannot distinguish these cases unless we
abuse the Texinfo format by wrapping examples to allow for a more
explicit rule to match.

--
Ricardo