guix-devel

Re: Looking for help with packaging a Common Lisp library

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Looking for help with packaging a Common Lisp library
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 21:04:50 +0100

Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Pierre and Guillaume,
>
> thanks for your quick help!
>
> Guillaume Le Vaillant <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I think the generated '...-sbcl-hdf5-cffi-1.8.18/lib/sbcl/hdf5-cffi.asd'
>> file is missing a dependency. It contains ':depends-on ("cffi")', but
>> I think it should be ':depends-on ("cffi" "cffi-grovel")', because the
>
> That was the problem indeed. I patched hdf5-cffi.asd to add :cffi-grovel
> to the dependencies, and with that patch everything works fine.
>
>> We could add all the dependencies declared in the original asd files (by
>> 'defsystem-depends-on' and 'depends-on') to the generated asd files with
>> the following patch:
>
> I don't know ASDF and the ASDF build system well enough to comment on
> that. All I can say is that in a "standard" SBCL + QuickLisp
> environment, it is not necessary to patch  hdf5-cffi.asd, so it seems
> to be correct as far as I can tell, meaning that it would be nice if it
> worked out of the box as well in Guix.

The Guix package recreates the .asd file (without the
defsystem-depends-on), which is why it worked in Quicklisp but not in
Guix.

We could merge Guillaume's patch, but first I'd like to make sure that
this is not an upstream bug.  Isn't cffi-grovel supposed to be added to
the :depends-on list instead?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/