guix-devel

Re: Guix minor version update?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix minor version update?
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 18:08:09 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 at 17:28, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think we really need someone to pay attention to the schedule.  It’s
> too hard for me and I guess for many of us to, at the same time, hack on
> new things, and sit down to prepare a release, which is often somewhat
> exciting.

Let engage a quick discussion at the Guix Days about that...

> I also think we should rotate release responsibilities.  We’ve improved
> the process and its documentation in the past, but I’m sure we can still
> do better.

...and that.

Because now Guix is becoming a piece of software \o/ and so more bugs
are opened than closed (no stats! :-)) then new features are touching
very different topics, we could imagine that 2-3 people take in charge
the release responsibilities because it would ease triage between what
is blocking and what is not.
Well, as usual, the difficult part is to bootstrap from scratch. ;-)
And the skills that are required are a bit abstract -- at least to me
-- so how to reach volunteers? :-)

Well, let talk at the Guix Days what could be done. :-)

Cheers,
simon