guix-devel

Guix minor version update?

From: zimoun
Subject: Guix minor version update?
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 14:32:00 +0100

Dear,

Currently, the proposed Guix to install is v1.0.1. This very version
has some "bugs" [1] fixed since then [2]. But it is not convenient
when using with Docker [3].

Why not update the minor version to v1.1?

Then, I propose to update this minor version:
 - each time core-updates or staging is merged
 - each time the bootstrapping toolchain is updated
 - each time major archives (Bioconductor) is updated
 - each time CLI is improved (time-machine, etc.)

Ludo "disagrees" [4], kind of. ;-)
<<
I guess semver doesn’t apply to Guix taken as a whole, so version
numbers should be chosen to suggest how “different” the new release is.
That’s pretty subjective, though.

Let collect some ideas. :-)

Even if version is not really meaningful when speaking about Guix
because rolling etc. I find useful to bump the minor version more
often, IMHO, for 3 reasons:

 1. Changing the (minor) version attracts interest and increases visibility.
 2. It helps people --mainly HPC sysadmins-- to better trust "Guix
rocks!" because jumping from version to version fits more what they
know.
 3. It eases to navigate through all the packages and their version update.

What people think?

All the best,
simon

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-11/msg00540.html