guix-devel

Re: qtwenengine anybody?

From: mike . rosset
Subject: Re: qtwenengine anybody?
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 16:27:43 -0800

Marius Bakke <address@hidden> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> thank you for your patient reply.

>>> QtWebengine does not handle DRM at all. That is handled by a 3rd party
>>> plugin called wildevine and would require guix to bundle that plugin.
>>> Something I'm confident is not going to happen. As an added measure my
>>> proposed qtwebengine declaration has pepper plugins disabled making it
>>> impossible to load 3rd party plugins either way.
>>>
>>> see https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebengine-features.html#html5-drm
>>> for reference
>>
>> I’m aware of this.  My apologies for not expressing myself more
>> clearly.  We probably want to remove the support for the DRM plugin,
>> following the discussions about ungoogled-chromium at
>>
>>     https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/34565
>
> I have attached a patch that disables support for loading the Widevine
> plugin, and also removes unused bundled software from the source based
> on a whitelist, similar to ungoogled-chromium's
> %PRESERVED-THIRD-PARTY-FILES.
>
> It removes some 300+ MiB from the uncompressed sources.  The snippet
> will require some adjustments for every new version of QtWebEngine
> however, I can help out with that when required.
>
> Patch 1/2 is a slightly "cleaned up" version of Mike's latest patch,
> fixing some cosmetic issues, and makes it respect the daemons requested
> number of build cores.
>
> With these changes, I think the package is ready to go.  \o/

This is really great work Marius I appreciate this addition. I was
actually just looking at this approach yesterday.

I've merged your two patches with one minor description addition that Hartmut
requested.

Hartmut the merged complete diff can be found here.

https://gitlab.com/mike.rosset/guix/compare/master...merge-qtwebengine

Mike