guix-devel

Re: qtwenengine anybody?

From: mike . rosset
Subject: Re: qtwenengine anybody?
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 13:24:05 -0800

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 16.12.19 um 18:09 schrieb address@hidden:
>> I'm currently brushing up my latest qtwebengine build. Will resubmit
>> this patch. I will also see if I can inherit qtsvg again to put this
>> back on par with other module packages. From there I'll put a simple
>> test example together demonstrating the locale and translation problem.
>
> Sounds good

I've resubmitted the patch it can be found here
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2019-12/msg00530.html. My
ML patch workflow is probably not all that correct so I apologize if
there is any issues.

To summarize the package now inherits from qtsvg. The locales issues
have been resolved by substituting qtwebengine's output instead of using
qtbase.

Some dynamically loaded libraries like udev and nss have been
substituted using corresponding inputs.

Some known issues, when building with pulseaudio support. There is some
issues finding pulseaudio socket. I've disabled support for pulseaudio
until I can resolve this.

Additionally on my system when using hardware accelerated OpenGL
neuveau drivers, qtwebengine crashes this does not happen when using the
monolithic qt package. This can avoided by setting the
QT_XCB_FORCE_SOFTWARE_OPENGL to 1.

I have a simple CPP for testing it can be found
here. https://github.com/mrosset/testqt.

for testing I use this enviroment.

./pre-inst-env guix environment  --ad-hoc qtbase qtwebengine qtdeclarative
qtwebchannel coreutils gcc-toolchain nss-certs

and then I test with

cd testqt
qmake
make
./main

or there are hardware acceleration problems

QT_XCB_FORCE_SOFTWARE_OPENGL=1 ./main

I can also a substitute if anyone needs them for testing. Since this
build can take some time.

Mike