guix-devel

Re: Feedback from JRES in Dijon

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Feedback from JRES in Dijon
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 16:52:47 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 at 16:45, Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> wrote:

> > So they are doing physical simulation (fluid dynamics), so they don't
> > (can't) get the same result when running the same experiment
> > twice. They wart replicability, that is, even if the results are
> > different, they are close enough to each other that you have to draw
> > the same scientific conclusion, independent of your compiler or other
> > package inputs.
>
> That's a common point of view in the numerical simulation community.
> What the people defending it don't realize is that both reproducibility
> and replicability matter, but in different situations and for different
> reasons. Reproducibility matters for verification ("was the computation
> done correctly?"), replicability matters for validation ("was the
> computation the right one for the scientific question?").

If I might, one the best presentation [1] -- that I am aware of -- on
this. Sorry in French.

[1]
https://webcast.in2p3.fr/video/les-enjeux-et-defis-de-la-recherche-reproductible
https://aramis.resinfo.org/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=pleniaires:aramis_keynote_enjeux-et-defis-recherche-reproductible_konrad_hinsen.pdf

Maybe we could convert it to an entry for the HPC blog. What do you think?

Cheers,
simon