guix-devel

Re: We need your feedback of the documentation videos!

From: Laura Lazzati
Subject: Re: We need your feedback of the documentation videos!
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 12:04:02 -0300

Hi!
I will start fixing what we can from the videos :) Will be answering video by video to see what we can change and what we cannot unless we record again the transcript :/

01-installation-from-script:
- at 01:15 the URL is broken in an odd manner.  This can be fixed in one  of these ways:
  a) use a shorter existing URL:
  https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/plain/etc/guix-install.sh
  b) realize that the URL is still too long and create an alias at
  https://guix.gnu.org/install.sh and use that.
I will try using both links, if a) is still too long will make you know so that we create b).

- at 01:20 the GPG key is fetched from the SKS servers, which expose
  users to attacks.  This should be replaced with the new method to
  fetch the GPG key.
- at 01:30 Ludo’s name is mangled.  Looks like an encoding problem.
Will install it from scratch again to fix the first issue, and as regards Ludo's name what I show was the output of fetching the key. Will go back to this after the installation.

- at 01:35 the output has been altered.  We are not using stars in the
  logo.  What is the reason for altering the output?
There was a kind of encoding issue, the actual logo was not being shown with the script so tried to fix it like that :/

- at 02:00 the output looks odd… is the script really creating
  “<guixbuilder01 to 10>” and then again “<guixbuilder08>”?  If this has
  been edited: why?
This is really a mistake :) To fix!

- at 02:15 the way “# yes” is input would not work in real life because
  “# yes” is not “yes”.  Is this a limitation of the video generation
  scripts?
Don't get this very well, the # is just to show that the user is root, but we can remove it if it is confusing.

- at 02:50 the command should probably be “guix install hello” instead
  of “guix package -i hello”.
Yes, the video is outdated since it was created.

- at the same mark there is a series of dots, which is not produced by
  Guix.  Why have they been added?
This is done in most videos, they are used to kind of show that something goes in between but it is not relevant to show it. Do you have any other idea for that?
- at 02:55 the environment variable hint is outdated.  Guix now prints
  something shorter.
Again outdated.
- at 3:10 the URL is printed in italics, which makes it harder to read.
  We should probably use “https://guix.gnu.org/manual”.
This is something to fix in all videos.

Regards :)
Laura