guix-devel

Re: How to reference external program used in shell-scripts?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: How to reference external program used in shell-scripts?
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2019 16:50:11 +0200

Hi Hartmut,

> Assume some program, shell-script, whatever is calling an external program.
> What is the correct way to reference this? Shall it become an absolute
> path, or just the basename.

this depends on what the user may reasonably expect from the script.  If
it’s a core feature of the tool then I would expect to be able to use it
without having to manually install other packages.

If it’s a rare or optional feature it could be fine to use the basename
and assume that the user has the tool installed.

Generally, I try to make sure that required tools are either propagated
or that references to tools are made to absolute file names.

There is no hard rule.

--
Ricardo