guix-devel

Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 13:47:28 +0200

> Christopher Lemmer Webber <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>>
>>> * UI/UX
>>>
>>> ** TODO grafts and profile hooks run as “build continuations”
>>> <https://bugs.gnu.org/28310>
>>> ** TODO ‘package-derivation’ made faster
>>> ** TODO (gnu installer) UI can be used to edit config.scm
>>> ** TODO ‘guix system status’ shows info about the current status

Maybe it's a detail, but I'd like to emphasize on the UX: I find
Synaptics very poor (in fact it's not much faster to use than the
command line.

I think it's important to have live fuzzy search, range selection,
queued tasks, etc.

One of the best GUI experience I had with a package manager was that of
Antergos: I think it was called pacman-xg4.

We can also re-use the good ideas from emacs-guix.el and helm-system-packages.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/