guix-devel

Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 11:55:43 +0200

Hello,

Robert Vollmert <address@hidden> skribis:

> - better stack traces when things go wrong (this would be both guile work
>   and guix guile-module work as far as I can tell)

I agree that we must keep improving error reporting in general.  Stack
traces are very much on the Guile side of things.

OTOH, due to EDSLs in Guix, there are things where Guile itself will
display what it sees, but what it sees is not quite what you’d like to
see as a Guix hacker.  So here we can probably do better on our side.

I’d encourage you to post specific examples to address@hidden showing
what you get and what you’d like to see.  It’ll be easier to work from
examples that in the abstract.

> - more consistent and useful output — currently it’s very easy to miss the
>   actual cause of an error between a lot of noise, e.g. all those “recompiling
>   scheme module” messages

When do you see “recompiling” messages?

It looks like a bug we could address soonish, not a long-term task.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.