guix-devel

Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 11:48:20 +0200

Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> skribis:

> * accessible installer and installed system

+1

> * use the intensional model described in Eelco's thesis (should reduce our
> computing needs)

I think we should discuss what we expect from that model.

For example, “content-addressability” might not be a goal in itself: we
already have the content hash of all the store items, we already have
deduplication, and with IPFS we’d get the benefits of
content-addressability for data transfers—all without moving to the
intensional model.

Reducing computing needs might be the most compelling argument to me: in
some cases changing an input deep down in the graph wouldn’t entail any
rebuilds.  We could change (guix build utils) without triggering any
rebuild, for instance.  It wouldn’t help in other cases such as security
updates, though.

There are also practical issues: what to do with non-deterministic build
processes, how to migrate, etc.

> * channel browser (along with package and services)

Good idea!

Ludo’.