guix-devel

Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 13:57:22 +0200

>> Plus I think profiles are still maybe the most confusing thing to a
>> newcomer and they are not explicit in the configuration.
>
> In what way do you think profiles are confusing to a newcomer?  Looking
> at this with a fresh eye would be helpful!

I agree with this, I would welcome moving the profile chapter to the
foreground.  I expect it to be something new to the majority of the
users.

Like many other "modern" concepts in Guix, we need to teach them
explicitly, since implicit teaching can discourage many users.

For instance, we can explain how to use a manifest to maintain the
default profile, how to use "guix install -p PROFILE..." to maintain a
separate profile, how to effectively use them by either call
~/my-profile/bin/my-program or by sourcing etc/profile, etc.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/