guix-devel

Re: New videos: topic daily use.

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: New videos: topic daily use.
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 10:20:58 +0100

On Wed, 06 Feb 2019 23:17:21 +0100
Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Laura,
>
> > My next video will be about daily using of Guix.
>
> Neat!

+1

> > I was thinking of daily use of guix package, mentioning profile,
> > generations (both the concepts and commands to deal with them)
>
> Sounds good.  “--install”, “--roll-back”, and maybe even “--manifest”
> for stateless installations would be good topics to cover.

Is "--manifest" really "daily use" for a Guix newbie? I would disagree
and first stick to the "--install" --"remove "--rollback"
"--list-generations" mode.

> > but
> > also about guix pull and guix gc.
> > The videos should be about 3 min length (+/-) 1.
> > Do you think that they should be included in the same video or split
> > them in two?
>
> I think “guix pull” deserves its own video, because it can be combined
> with channels.

I would mention the simplest version of "guix pull", i.e. the way it is
set up by default with the "default" channel. I think it is a really
important tool, compared to "apt-get update" on Debian.

We can then put the more complicated parts like channels into another
video, but I think that a simple "guix pull" MUST be in here.

> Same with “guix gc”, because it has a bunch of features other than
> garbage collection.

I have no strong opinion here.

Björn