guix-devel

Re: Code of Conduct and Diversity Statement

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct and Diversity Statement
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 23:50:10 +0200

Hello!

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> skribis:

> Tonton <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Should we make the CoC more prominent or somehow inform about it
>> better? For example by putting it or a link to it in the topic of the
>> IRC channel, as it's own page on the website, if possible as part of
>> the welcome message to the mailing lists, others?
>
> I think those are good ideas.  I'd be curious to hear what Ludo and
> Ricardo think.
>
> We mention the Code of Conduct in the manual (see: "(guix)
> Contributing").  However, you're right that it seems we don't
> prominently mention it on the website.

Sure, perhaps we should mention it at the top of
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/contribute/> and/or link to
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Contributing.html>?

> While we wait for Ludo and Ricardo to reply, perhaps you could submit a
> patch that implements the changes you're suggesting?

That’d be great!

>> A second question is, the contributor covenant has evolved, should we upgrade
>> ours from 1.3.0 to the current
>> [1.4.0](https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct)?
>
> To help people understand what has changed going from 1.3.0 to 1.4, here
> is a handy command you can use to get a visual diff of the versions:
>
>   wdiff -n -w $'\033[30;41m' -x $'\033[0m' -y $'\033[30;42m' -z $'\033[0m' \
>   <(curl
> https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/3/0/code-of-conduct.txt) \
>   <(curl
> https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct.txt) \
>   | less -R

As I see it, the new version is more clearly structured, clarifies the
wording in some places, and introduces a distinction between “project
team” and “project maintainers”.  Perhaps we’d need to clarify what the
“project team” is in our case (?).

Apart from this, I think 1.4 follows the spirit of 1.3.0 and its
clarifications are welcome, so I’d be in favor of “upgrading”.

What do people think?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Tonton!

Ludo’.