guix-devel

Resources around inclusion, diversity, conduct and harrasment (was Re: C

From: Tonton
Subject: Resources around inclusion, diversity, conduct and harrasment (was Re: Code of Conduct and Diversity Statement)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 14:47:12 +0200

Hi,

Here is a bunch of curated links on the topic from what I've found the last
week or so with binge-reading/research. I'm adding short descriptions to some
were the link itself is not explanatory. Trying to put them in order of "value
for time" and usefulness for us, as a free software community.

An outstanding resource, that unfortunately requires physical presence, is
the ally skills workshops, if you ever have the chance - take it.
https://adainitiative.org/continue-our-work/workshops-and-training/
https://frameshiftconsulting.com/ally-skills-workshop/

__TRIGGER WARNING__
Some of these articles will contain more or less explicit retellings or
examples of Bad-Behaviour(TM). These articles are marked with '#TW#', and most
(if not all) have a warning from the author before the text itself.

https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/a-code-of-conduct-is-not-enough

https://www.recurse.com/manual#sec-environment
See also the sections 'struggling' and 'mental health'.

https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/ten-lessons-learned-from-organizing-diversity-focused-events

https://hypatia.ca/2017/07/18/the-al-capone-theory-of-sexual-harassment/

#TW# https://hypatia.ca/2016/06/21/no-more-rock-stars/
How to not have "rock stars" with too much social influence in a group. But
also has loads of general guidelines for making safer spaces.

https://hypatia.ca/safety/
On speaking out and safety for those thinking about speaking out.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2013/06/why_cops_don_t_believe_rape_victims_and_how_brain_science_can_solve_the.html

#TW#
https://medium.com/@FoldableHuman/gamergate-and-base-assumptions-transcript-ab8f91074ad7

#TW# https://hypatia.ca/2014/08/05/what-you-can-do/

#TW# http://pervocracy.blogspot.com.es/2012/06/missing-stair.html
Something to watch out for. Explanation of a term.

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Community_anti-harassment
http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Diversity_statement
https://geekfeminism.org/about/code-of-conduct/
The geekfeminism wiki is a great resource for topics generally in the area of
inclusion, diversity and harrasment. These are specifically on code of
conduct and similar.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/6ewjt5/question_about_rusts_odd_code_of_conduct/dif1xvb/
https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/6ewjt5/question_about_rusts_odd_code_of_conduct/
First of these two is a response far into one of the subthreads by user
graydon2 (from other responses seems like a previous core maintainer or
similar of rust). This discussion brings the gray very well into the
discussion.

https://hypatia.ca/2017/03/21/but-is-it-systemic/

At this point we are getting into specific cases, more details, and more work
necessary for analysis and understanding.

#TW#
https://milenapopova.eu/2016/06/rape-sexual-assault-ioerror-tor-and-encouraging-victims-to-report-rape-to-law-enforcement.html

#TW# https://blog.patternsinthevoid.net/the-forest-for-the-trees.html

#TW# https://hypatia.ca/2016/06/07/he-said-they-said/