guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 11:48:28 +0200

Am 06.05.2018 um 03:24 schrieb Mike Gerwitz:
> On Sat, May 05, 2018 at 19:06:27 -0300, Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
>> I have noticed somepeople advocating for packaging Firefox in GNU Guix,
>> and since FF still has freedom issues, I see it as a no-go.
> A simple option for now is to package FF by disabling those features and
> _not_ providing an alternative.  For example, IceCat loads a different
> addon page than FF; we could just load no addon page at all, or a static
> one saying that it's something'll we'll get to eventually.

Not packaging FF or crippling FF is a no-go! Doing so will discourage
users from using GuixSD and Free Software.

You will defeat your supporters, those who want to go the
free-software-route. But you will not change the world, since your
supporters have to carry the can, and the vendors, who are causing the
problems, will be untouched. This is the same as not providing
proprietary firmware in libre-linux.

If you want to make the world a better place, you may decide to live
vegan. And if you expect everybody to become vegan, you will reach less
than if you try to convince people to start with eating less or no meat.

Having strong opinions and working towards them is the one side.
Convincing people is the other side.

Followup-to: alt.religion.free-software,

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | address@hidden               |