guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 13:34:37 +0200

Hello Katherine,

Katherine Cox-Buday <address@hidden> skribis:

> E.g. I've seen several people in this thread mention they had already,
> or were trying to, package Firefox (myself included). Had there been an
> official non-libre channel, this work might not have been duplicated.

There will never be an “official” non-libre channel in that Guix as a
project will not provide such a channel.

Now, Firefox *is* free software, so there’s could be an official
“firefox” package, but in essence, it would have to incorporate pretty
much the same changes that IceCat provides.

I wonder why IceCat is based on an ESR, and what it would take to have
it follow Firefox releases more closely.  IWBN if IceCat could be pretty
much like Linux-libre, i.e., a set of scripts that semi-automatically
adjusts the Firefox source (I’m not sure if that is the case currently.)

At any rate, people interested in this should probably team up with the
IceCat people (person?) to see how we can together move in the right
direction.

Ludo’.