guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Clément Lassieur
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Thu, 03 May 2018 22:45:55 +0200

Hi Chris,

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

> Clément Lassieur <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I find Icecat very buggy, even if I compare it to a home-made Firefox
>> package that inherits Icecat (and thus is very close to Icecat).  For
>> example I can't even pay with my credit card with icecat-52-guix,
>> whereas I can with firefox-home-52-guix.  (It looks like a javascript
>> issue.)  Also, lots of videos don't work, and it's difficult to know
>> whether it's because of technical issues or because of DRM.
>
> This has not been my experience with IceCat.  With two exceptions,
> IceCat has performed just as well as Firefox for me for everything I
> have done, including credit card payments.  I sometimes watch YouTube
> videos using IceCat, but I don't view many other videos, so I can't
> really comment on how well IceCat handles videos.  If it requires DRM,
> of course, it's not going to work in IceCat, which is a good thing.
>
> When I use IceCat over TOR, it doesn't always work.  When I use IceCat
> with extensions (plugins?  add-ons?  I'm not sure what the right
> terminology is here) like NoScript enabled, it doesn't always work.  But
> when I don't use TOR and I disable those add-ons, everything works just
> as well as stock Firefox.  If you're still having trouble after
> disabling those things, can you describe the specifics of what you're
> having trouble with?

You are right, there were tons of add-ons enabled, and disabling them
allowed me to do my credit card payment.  I don't know why I never
thought about disabling them.  (I wonder if it would be better to
disable them by default.)  So... I apologize for being unfair with
Icecat :-) most of what I said is wrong.

The version issue remains though: having a Firefox 58 (not 52) would be
great, but maybe it's not worth doing the package, I don't know.

Thank you all for replying, and thanks to the Icecat mainteners for
their work ;-)

Clément