Re: Logo baseline

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Logo baseline
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 18:40:09 +0100

Matt Wette <address@hidden> writes:

> On 1/19/20 6:11 AM, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
>> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Other adjectives I proposed (fast, functional) don’t quite apply to
>>> these, though.
>> Functional doesn’t apply to Guile much better than to CPython.
>
> I think "functional" is used in the formal sense.
> The term applies to Scheme, Haskell, SML: e.g., they iterate through
> recursion.
Is this also true for the do-loop in Scheme?
> Python, Lua, Perl, Javascript are imperative: e.g., they iterate
> through i=i+1.
That is a result of missing tail recursion.

I understood functional in the no-sideeffects sense — which nowadays is
more a matter of programming style than of the language, though
different languages make it easier or harder.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein