Re: Logo baseline

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: Logo baseline
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 03:40:20 +0800

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 10:14 PM Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Guilers!

Clearly, Guile is still an extension language, with many great
applications (Gnucash, Lepton-EDA, OpenCog, GDB, etc.), and I’m sure
libguile is here to stay.  Yet, to me, “extension language” does not
accurately capture what Guile today allows for and what people have been
doing with it; since 2.0, it’s more than an extension language, even
more so with the performance afforded by Guile 3.

That's true, "GNU extension language" is just part of its features right now.
And the "extension language" can't define Guile anymore, because Guile is a productive implementation of Scheme programming language,
a web development language, a system level scripting language, and a platform to support several different dynamic languages.

Thus, I’d propose changing the baseline.  Something that would describe
what Guile is to me is:

  GNU, fast, fun, functional

Although functional is just one of facinating features of Guile Scheme, it's still a good selling point to introduce it to other people.

What’s about you?  What’s Guile to you?  :-)

Guile is a modern Scheme implementation that can solve real problems in the industry. There's a joke that Scheme is the only language that the number of implementations
are more than the users. But I would say, Guile can help people to solve real program in product level.
And as some people here may know, I've been always a big fan to treat Guile as a platform for various language transpilers.
I don't know what's the proper slogan now, to me, Guile is more like a hacking engine rather than a language.

Best regards.