Re: New logo and website design proposal

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: New logo and website design proposal
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 22:32:32 +0200

On 2015-10-12 08:26, address@hidden wrote:
Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <address@hidden> skribis:

I have a suggestion: would it be possible to show only one code sample in the Code examples section? The code sample would periodically switch to a new one smoothly and also the user should be able to jump from sample to sample by clicking some arrows. Something like racket-lang (but much nicer with your design!). Also, it would save some space. The code could be on the left and the explanation on the right side with the title on top of the
explanation.

I agree that it would be nice, if possible.

OTOH the current web site has the advantage of being JavaScript-free.

WDYT, Felipe?

I'm fine with Aleix suggestion. And it can be done so that the
examples are shown in a descent way without the effects for people who
don't use JavaScript. But I'd pass on the implementation because I
don't like much using JavaScript :)

I can do it, if nobody shims in... When I am finished with the tutorial.

Any comment is welcome.

First I tried to follow hylang tutorial [0], but I found it too short. I really like clojure koans [1], but there is not guilescript. I did not do much research, in particular there might be interesting stuff to use in "how to design programs" [2].

So I settled on 4 parts tutorial split into sections, but not deeper, where the first paragraph introduce a concept and the second paragraph apply the concept in the general context of guilers doing a hackfest. I did not talk about macros, I will think about a way to spread the different macros in all the parts.

Here is the plan:

# Learn Scheme Guile

## Getting started [3]

The main illustration is a breakfast box.

- call procedure
- define a variable
- how to create list
- how to create pairs
- how to create scheme dictionary aka. assoc
- how to define a procedure
- how to to create new list with initial list and a procedure using map

## Foward [4]

This continue with breakfast box and explain records with a mini todo list app.

- how to define a more complex procedure
- how to define variable inside procedures
- a short hand to make recursive procedures ie. named `let`
- how to define mutable datastructures ie. records

## Beyond [not written yet]

I don't know yet which example to use.

- goops
- values/receive
- apply
- compose

## Reference

A summary of all the syntax and procedure of the tutorial. This should be similar to hylang tutorial.

[0] http://docs.hylang.org/en/latest/tutorial.html#basic-intro-to-lisp-for-pythonistas
[1] http://clojurescriptkoans.com/#equality/2
[2] http://www.htdp.org/
[3] http://hypermove.net/learn-scheme-guile-basics.html