Re: git and changelogs

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: git and changelogs
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:05:03 +0200

Hi,

"Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry, yes you're right.  I was anticipating the abolition of
> ChangeLogs, but prematurely.

Eh.  ;-)  Eventually, at some point, we'll abolish them for real.

> I've added the ChangeLogs in now, but I'm not sure I did the merge and
> push correctly; can you take a look and advise?

That looks OK.

> What I did was:
> 1. Create 2 new commits in my own repo, with ChangeLogs for the two
> previous commits.
> 2. git pull
> This caused conflicts, because you had an intervening commit that
> modified ChangeLog and libguile/ChangeLog.
> 3. Resolved those conflicts - in terms of the file contents.
> 4. git add ChangeLog libguile/ChangeLog
> 5. git merge
> 6. git push

I'd have done a "git-commit -c ORIGINAL-COMMIT-ID" after step 4 and no
"git merge", but it looks like there's more than one way to do it.

Now, the issue with merges is that they make the history look more
complex than needed (see with gitk, for instance).  Thus, it's usually
best to write ChangeLog entries at the very last minute, after running
`git-pull'.  Another reason to abolish ChangeLogs...

Thanks,
Ludovic.