Re: git and changelogs

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: git and changelogs
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:08:36 +0200

Hello!

"Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:

> 2008/5/22 Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>:
>>
>> There was discussion on Git + ChangeLog on the gnulib list about half a
>> year back.  I can't recall the outcome, but do remember one side effect
>> was that someone wrote a merge program specifically for ChangeLog files,
>> that could hook into Git somehow.
>
> Attached is my attempt (thus far) at such a program.  Comments
> welcome, of course.

IIUC, the idea is to fill in `ChangeLog' files as usual and then let
this program extract entries from there and put them in the Git log,
right?  That seems useful, but it means you can't use your favorite
front-end to commit.

> It would be good if we could reach a clear
> decision on whether to abolish ChangeLogs, or not!

I'd say "yes", but OTOH, I haven't found anything like Emacs'
`add-change-log-entry' that would fit nicely into my workflow (I did
look at DVC but it looks unmaintained and undocumented ATM).  IOW,
laziness has won so far.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo'.