Re: git and changelogs

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: git and changelogs
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:28:02 +0100

2008/7/15 Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>:
> Hello!
>
> "Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> Attached is my attempt (thus far) at such a program.  Comments
>> welcome, of course.
>
> IIUC, the idea is to fill in `ChangeLog' files as usual and then let
> this program extract entries from there and put them in the Git log,
> right?

Yes.

>  That seems useful, but it means you can't use your favorite
> front-end to commit.

Yes, that is a problem.

>> It would be good if we could reach a clear
>> decision on whether to abolish ChangeLogs, or not!
>
> I'd say "yes", but OTOH, I haven't found anything like Emacs'
> `add-change-log-entry' that would fit nicely into my workflow (I did
> look at DVC but it looks unmaintained and undocumented ATM).  IOW,
> laziness has won so far.  :-)

Agreed.  It is important to get a good workflow, and with the program
that I attached, it is inelegant that it does the "git commit" itself,
because it takes away flexibility in what args one might pass to "git
commit".

So more work is needed...  I wonder if adding code into one of Git's
hook might work?

Also I met Alfred Szmidt at the GNU hackers meeting in Bristol, and he
was working on a solution for Emacs - but I think that assumes doing
the commit from Emacs.

> Thanks,
> Ludo'.

Thanks for your thoughts!