Re: updating guile-tools: no more --scriptsdir

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: updating guile-tools: no more --scriptsdir
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:04:38 +0200

Hello,

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> () address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès)
> () Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:21:48 +0200
>
>    I've never actually used that option, but can you provide
>    rationale for removing it?  I'd rather not remove it without a
>    good reason to do so.
>
> It's not useful (you said it yourself).

I didn't say that.  I suppose it can be useful in some situations, I
just never needed it myself.

One reason for this is that I rarely invoke `guile-tools' directly, but
rather through Autoconf macros or similar, as you noted.  Another reason
is that a large part of the scripts `guile-tools' run is undocumented
and unmaintained.

> I bet that if we were to omit the removal of this misfeature from
> NEWS, no one would even notice.  (Same goes for --guileversion and
> --help-all, which are next up on the chopping block.)

Maybe, but let's not try that.  ;-)

>  [It was (sort of) nice that guile-tools could be used to mux
>   (dispatch) other functionality, but that sort of flexibility is
>   available by more standard means (e.g., set PATH env var).]

Is it another way of saying the scripts could go into $bindir?  Why not,
but that would mean cleaning up and documenting the scripts, removing
deprecated ones, and possibly prepending `guile-' to their names.

Thanks,
Ludovic.